For optimal health and wellness, nutritionists recommend eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables helps ensure better health because the types and amounts of phytonutrients in fruits and vegetables vary by color group. In the image below, we have highlighted the major characteristics of three main phytonutrient color groups: Green, Orange/Yellow, and Red.
Phytonutrients, or phytochemicals, are the color, taste, and smell of fruits and vegetables. In general, the more vibrant and flavorful a fruit or vegetable is, the healthier it is. Of course a deep red, flavorful tomato is healthier than an anemic pink, bland tomato.
There are tens of thousands of phytochemicals. In fact, more phytochemicals are still being discovered. The color, the taste, and the smell of every piece of produce is created with unique combinations of thousands of these nutrients.
A chemical analysis of an apple reveals that it contains:
- Ascorbic Acid—antiarthritic, antibacterial, anti-cataract, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antimigraine, antiobesity, antiosteoporotic, antitumor, anti-shingle, antiulcer, etc.
- Caffeic Acid—analgesic, anti-HIV, anticancer, antiedemic, anti-flu etc.
- Magnesium—anti-aggregant, antianginal, anti-anxiety, anticonvulsant
- Oleic Acid—anti-cholesterol and anticancer
- Protocatechuic Acid—prevents asthma, heart problems, virus and bacteria
- Pufa—anti-acne, anti-eczemic
- Estrone—anti-impotency, anti-menopausal
- and more! The complete list goes on for pages.
Science has rediscovered what our parents and grandparents already knew. A lifestyle that includes physical activity and a diet of mostly fruits and vegetables produces better health and protection from lifestyle disease.
Through scientific research, Dr. Howard developed Balance of Nature Fruits & Veggies. Using whole fruits and vegetables, he harnessed the most potent phytonutrients to work in balance and to achieve the optimal affect. Dr. Howard used science to discover which fruits and vegetables to consume in what variety. Each of the 31 different fruits and vegetables in Balance of Nature Fruits & Veggies has been chemically analyzed and paired intentionally.
Balance of Nature eliminates the problems of the unavailability of produce, the poor nutritional value from early picking, the exorbitant cost due to shipping, and even the time required for preparation. Balance of Nature makes it possible to supply your body with the nutrition it craves every day.